Construction and development projects involve the co-ordination actions of many different professionals and specialists in order to achieve defined objectives. The task of project management is to bring these professionals and specialists into the project team at the right time to enable them to make their contribution as early and as efficiently as possible.
Our experienced Project Managers have leadership and coordination skills and expertise to ensure successful project delivery. We employ a range of project management tools and processes during delivery both pre and post-construction, including:
- Project Execution Plans
- Feasibility Studies
- Programme Management
- Procurement Advice
- Tendering Advice
- Funding Advice
- Value Management
- Value Engineering
- Risk Management
- Change Management
- Contract Administration
- Total Project Management
The Key Services we provide include:
- Preparation of initial elemental estimates based on preliminary design
- Preparation of detailed estimates and cost planning advice
- Preparation of cash flows
- Procurement advice
- Participation and leadership in the value management process
- Comparative cost studies and advice on cost effective design solutions
- Advice on materials selection and general buildability advice
- Advice on selection of tenderers
- Attendance at design meetings and construction control meetings
- Value management
- Value engineering
- Bills of quantities
- Schedules of work
- Tender analysis
- Post-contract services
- Interim valuations
- Contractual disputes
- Cost management
- Final accounts
Cost Management & Quantity Surveying
GSS has a team of experienced, knowledgeable and qualified Quantity Surveyors, who are able to provide Cost Consultancy and Cost Management services on a wide range of both public and private projects, across the range of sectors within which we work, including commercial, industrial, residential, education, health, leisure and heritage.
GSS are able to offer Employer’s Agent services through its knowledgeable and experienced Employer’s Agents and Project Managers.
The role of Employer’s Agent can be assessed on a commission by commission basis, once we have an understanding of the client’s objectives, but we are able to provide the full range of pre and post-contract services on a wide range of projects and for a diverse range of sectors.
The services we could offer include:
- Acting as Client’s Representative throughout the project
- Establishing the building brief, preparing Employer’s Requirements and obtaining tenders
- Evaluating and reporting on tenders received
- Preparing contract documentation
- Providing cost advice and budgetary control from initial feasibility to completion
- Construction contract administration
- Chairing project and site meetings
- Issuing post-contract changes
- Issuing practical completion certificates
- Resolving post-completion matters
- Defect inspections
- Prepare, review and maintain risk registers in conjunction with the client
Main Contractor Services
We offer services tailored to the requirements of main contractors. Using our industry standard measurement software, we can provide Bills of Quantities for projects in all of the most commonly used formats and standards, including:
- Elemental Bills
- Trade Bills
Information can be provided in either Excel, CITE or EBQ, which are compatible with most estimating software packages, including Conquest.
In addition to services for main contractors, we also offer services to the house building sector and have undertaken a number of measurement exercises in order to provide standardised measurement information for housebuilders to enable them to cost plan their developments more accurately.
GSS provides monitoring services on development projects for banks and other funding institutions. Our team has a detailed understanding of cost, procurement, design and construction.
At GSS, we provide advice on the construction aspects of a project in order to assess the risks that might impact on Funders’ loans. When a development has commenced, we provide careful monitoring and make regular site visits in order to understand any key issues as they arise. We advise when costs can be drawn down against the loan facility, and on the adequacy of the remaining undrawn loan to cover the forecast cost to complete. In summary, we are looking to ensure that the development is proceeding diligently and in accordance with the contract, so that the investment value of the completed development is not compromised in any way.
The services we could offer include:
- Pre-commencement report, including auditing project costs and the adequacy of the project documentation
- Monitoring of authority approvals
- Progress payment assessments and recommendations
- Cost to complete assessments
- Monitoring project status and potential risk issues
Insurance Reinstatement Valuations
Insurance reinstatement valuations will be required by many clients at some point or another. A reinstatement valuation is a calculation of the cost of rebuilding a property following total or partial destruction. An accurate assessment will eliminate the risks associated with under insurance and will avoid payment of excessive premiums for over insurance.
Production of non-domestic reinstatement valuations would be carried out in accordance with the current Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors Guidance Notes and Valuation Standards.
Production of Domestic Reinstatement Valuations would be carried out in accordance with Guidelines approved by the Association of British Insurers.
Our experience of preparing building reinstatement valuations covers all forms of construction, including individual residential dwellings, educational establishments, residential developments, and leisure, community and religious establishments, comprising both traditional and historical/conservation construction techniques.